VIP Super Special
20% off all Vitamins & Supplements
from Monday 15th June until Tuesday 30th June, 2015
No further discounts apply
Offers available in store until June 30, 2015
Keeping that cold away…
Its that time of year again, when the weather gets colder, days are shorter and we often come down with the dreaded cold. Time to start rugging up & filling up on warm & nourishing soups & stews. It can help to start taking herbal supplements to build your immune system to assist in keeping those nasty bugs away. Mountain health has several effective products for strengthening immunity.
Healthy Essentials, has a fantastic Immune Tonic which includes Echinacea, Olive Leaf Panax Ginseng, Elderberry, Zinc and Vitamin C and is formulated to boost immune system & fight fatigue. Having a good vitamin C is also helpful & in a powder form your body will absorb more of this powerful antioxidant.
Fusion have some fantastic products to assist the ailments of the season: Cold & flu, Cough & lung tonic & Astra 8 immune tonic. Using ancient and modern chinese formulas & utilising researched chinese & western herbs these products are very effective against colds, flus & related conditions
Olive leaf extract is a very helpful herb to take. Its a very potent natural antioxidant, protecting cells from free radical damage & oxidation. Olive relief provides symptomatic relief for colds, flu and upper respiratory tract infections, traditionally being used to help relieve fever. Olive leaf is also a great anti-inflammatory, can help to maintain normal cardiovascular health. As well as taking it to fight off a cold, olive leaf can be taken daily as a general tonic.
PPC has an excellent liquid tonic called Fluplex. The tonic includes herbs such as astragalus, echinacea, olive leaf & liquorice, making it an effective treatment of influenza by reducing the severity and duration of symptoms.
Come in & have a chat to us so we can recommend whats best for you to help ward off the dreaded cold and flu!!!
Immune Boosting Soup
This soup is a fantastic immune booster. Inspired by a recipe from Dale Pinnock’s Medicinal Chef Cookbook, it’s a powerhouse of nutrients to help clear up those winter colds. The flu busting properties of the soup include:
- Shiitake Mushrooms contain beta glucans, that increase the production of white blood cells and strengthen their response to pathogens, making them powerful immune builders & fighters.
- Garlics sulphuric compounds make it effective against bacteria and infection.
- Ginger eases nausea, is warming if you have the chills, and is anti-bacterial and anti-viral
- Chilli contain capsaicin which is an anti inflammatory & can thin mucus, clearing your sinuses.
- Bone broth with lots of minerals, proteins and fats that help the body to regenerate and collagen which is the building block to cells & helps with digestion and absorbtion.
- Sweet potato is high in beta carotene that converts to vitamin A. One of beta carotene’s jobs is to support the body’s mucus membranes, which line the respiratory and intestinal tracts, making it harder for bacteria to enter. But that’s not all: they’re also rich in vitamin D, iron, potassium, calcium, and manganese.
- Goji Berries are full of nutrients, a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, dietary fiber and packed with antioxidants.
1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
1 Red Onion diced
2 Red Chillies, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
5 cm piece of Fresh Ginger Root, grated
2 Sweet Potatoes, Diced
1 Punnet of Shiitake Mushrooms
“Broth of life” Stock Powder + boiling water to make broth
Sauté the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in a saucepan with coconut oil. Cook until onions soften.
Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms to the pan and cover with bone broth. Simmer for 15 minutes, then season with himalayan salt and pepper.
Add the soup to a jug blender and blend into a smooth soup.
Serve soup, sprinkled with goji berries.
Mountain Health is now stocking a large range of WARBOTANICALS products. Hand made in Warburton, using organic ingredients and containing no petrochemical derivatives (inc. Sodium Laurel Sulphate); WARBOTANICALS are a Choose Cruelty Free accredited, 100% chemical free range of skin and hair care products. Come into the shop & see the affordable range of essential oils & beauty products.
Traditionally, turmeric milk is an ayurvedic home remedy that has been used to treat colds and flus. This is due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties and the warm drink can also soothe a sore throat or cough. Turmeric is actually one of the most powerful nutritional supplements in existence. It has tons of benefits including:
Supports antioxidant protection against free radicals
Helps promote healthy skin
Supports your overall eye health
Provides immune system support
Aids your skeletal system and joint health
Encourages healthy liver function
Helps maintain healthy cells with support against free radicals
Balances the health of your digestive system
Aids in support of healthy blood and circulatory system
Helps maintain normal cholesterol levels to support your cardiovascular system
Assists your neurological system’s healthy response to stress
Try this recipe with added immune benefits of coconut milk or relaxing magnesium rich almond milk. Sweeten with the added antibacterial qualities of manuka or raw honey.
- Pour two cups of almond or coconut milk, into a saucepan and begin to warm slowly.
- Whisk in 1 tsp of ground turmeric, 1 tsp of dried ginger (or freshly grated), half a tsp of ground cinnamon, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Black pepper helps to unlock the chemicals of turmeric, making it easily absorbed.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Pour into cups & add manuka honey or raw local honey to taste.