Delicious & healthy Christmas cake. Make as gifts or enjoy for yourself!
• 250g seedless dates
100g mixed peel
• 50g glacé apricots, cut into pieces
90g red glacé cherries
• 90g green glacé cherries
• 250g brazil nuts
• 100g ground almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder
• 3 large (59g) eggs
2 tablespoons (40ml) honey
• 1 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract
2 tablespoons rum
1. Put the dates in a large mixing bowl, checking carefully for pips as you go
2. Add all the remaining fruits, brazil nuts and walnuts and stir well. Add the ground almonds and baking powder and stir to combine.
3. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until thick and creamy, then beat in the honey and vanilla extract. Pour the eggs into the fruit mix and stir well to combine. Make sure that every piece of fruit and nut is well coated with the batter.
4. Preheat the oven to 150C with fan. Line two bar pans (8cm x 26cm) or five small loaf pans (8cm x 15cm) with parchment paper. Divide the mixture evenly between the pans, making sure to work it well into the corners.
5. Bake for about an hour (start checking after 50 minutes), or until the cakes are firm and dark brown. Brush the rum over the hot cakes, then wrap tightly in foil and allow them to cool in their pans overnight.
When completely cool, wrap the cakes tightly in foil and store in the fridge.